Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Sound and The Fury

So...my first blog.

No pressure though right? As one of the late adaptors on this whole blog thing I actually feel quite a bit of pressure. Those who have gone before me have set the standard quite high. Most of my friends will attest to the fact that I definitely have no shortage of things to say or stories to tell but for some reason putting them in writing intimidates me a little. There is a fear that perhaps once written I’ll find my life isn’t so exciting or interesting after all. However, the biggest hurdle to my blog writing has been the narcissism that is inherent in keeping a personal blog. I have not entirely resolved this but I thought by naming my blog, Sound and Fury, tales told by an idiot, the self abasement would somehow negate the narcissism. The quote comes from one of my favorite Shakespearean plays Macbeth that I was forced to memorize passages from in high school.

To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
To the last syllable of recorded time,
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

As a teenager, I was a bit more morose than I am today and was even compared to Daria on several occasions (I may have just dated myself a bit..the comparison was more of a attitude thing than a gothic thing and no I never wore knee high lace up boots. Although I did own a pair of black and silver Doc Marten's..but I digress) I loved this passage and believed that life was full of sound and fury that ultimately had no significance. While my outlook has obviously changed quite a bit since then I still find some truth in this passage. So much of what we say and do on a daily basis fails to carry any real worth into the world. I doubt that everything I write here will be profound or carry eternal value but I do hope that the end result of the chaos of my day to day life will be significant. And I hope this is an adequate introduction to my personal blog.

3 comments:

Leonce Crump II said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

No...the self abasement does not negate the narcissism, it is inherent after all. But, alas, all things come with some form of sacrifice, and for you to blog, the sacrifice will be the utter self loathing involved in knowing that you are indeed slightly narcissistic...lol.Welcome to the blog world.

Unknown said...

I totally blog because I am narcissistic. Why else would I do it? I assume that I am so great that everyone wants to look at my pictures and hear my preservatives on life. Completely conceited.

PS. I loved Daria, that totally dates us.