Monday, October 6, 2008

A Homage to Brunch


In a Simpson’s episode from the first season, Jacques, a Don Juan bowling instructor, tries to seduce Marge with his definition of brunch (read the following in a smooth and seductive tone): "It's not quite breakfast. It's not quite lunch, but it comes with a slice of cantaloupe at the end. You don't get completely what you get at breakfast, but you get a good meal."


Anyone who knows me knows that I love brunch. Eating the day’s first meal at 1:00 seems decadent, not to mention that you are free from the normal restrictions of what is appropriate to eat. One can just as easily order a hamburger as a blue crab omelet (my choice yesterday) and both are completely socially acceptable.

However, brunch is so much more than a Sunday afternoon meal, it is a social ritual. As I grow older and my responsibilities increase, it has become difficult to keep up with my friends whose lives have also become more structured and complicated. Sunday brunch has become a special occasion, time to unwind after a stressful week and recharge before another week begins. I think my favorite part is that there is never a need to rush. Our record has been 12 hours of Seinfeld-esque conversation covering everything from one friend’s new promotion, to the latest political debates, to the lack of love in my life (which seems to be a regular source of amusement). Yesterday’s brunch was in honor of one of my friends who had a rare leave from his Navy Seal’s training and did not disappoint my high standards for this sacred meal.

0 comments: