Sunday, October 12, 2008

Forbidden Political Discourse

I’ve heard there are 3 things that you don’t ever talk about in social situations: religion, money and politics. All three of these topics have the potential to explode in conflict and hurt feelings when discussed among people of differing opinions. They are all areas that are closely tied to our personal convictions and therefore our very identity.

In case you are cut off from all forms of media and social interaction, America is in the middle of a heated political race. There are numerous important issues that inspire passionate reactions from most Americans, none of which I will dare discuss in this forum. I find myself one of the highly courted “undecided voters” who so much of today’s political discourse is centered around. I don’t feel strongly connected to either party and while there is a candidate I identify with, I am still unsure of where I stand on many of the important issues. While my rational side tells me it is unlikely that Tennessee will break tradition and go Democrat rendering my personal decision insignificant, I can’t help but think my vote is important and want desperately to make a decision that I can be proud of.

I struggled even expressing these feelings on my own personal blog. This past week I debated starting an anonymous blog so that I could openly discuss my views and questions about the issues. In my current environment questioning the Grand Old party seems the equivalent of denying my faith in God and this bothers me. When did Christianity become about conformity? When did the politics of our secular country become so deeply entwined in our personal relationship with God? Our American citizenship or party affiliation shouldn’t supersede our identity as followers of Jesus. Shouldn’t Christians above any other group of people be able to engage in an open and honest dialogue?

Donald Miller, the author of Blue like Jazz, is currently traveling with the Obama campaign, holding forums for discussion called Christians for Obama around the country. On his most recent blog, Donald stated that he understood the anger of Republican Christians at his views but implored “I hope you will trust that those of us who are voting for Barack Obama do so with the best intentions and for what we believe are good reasons.” If we truly believe in and respect our brothers and sisters in Christ then why can’t we respect that they have come to their decisions with the best of intentions. Why can’t we agree to disagree?

I’ve heard good arguments from both parties. However, it upsets me when people so quickly and completely dismiss those who stand on the opposite side of the issue. Am I naïvely trusting a candidate I should not? Do I not fully understand the important issues? Perhaps. However, would the best way to help me to change my mind be to angrily berate me or to calmly and civilly explain your side of the issue and why you are concerned that my candidate isn’t the best choice? Granted there is an appropriate time and place for this conversation but shouldn’t it be a conversation we have?

Are both candidates flawed? In my humble opinion, yes. But I am attempting to thoughtfully and rationally weigh the issues that are most important to me. Neither candidate is ideal. I can laugh at the impressions of both men and their Vice Presidential candidates (although, Tina Fey’s impression of Sarah Palin is definitely my favorite). What I cannot understand is a Christian’s inability to openly discuss issues without hateful and judgmental attitudes towards those who disagree with us. I also have been guilty of this political typecasting and I hope and pray that I can openly consider the opinions of others and eventually come to the best decision for myself and my country. Let’s tell the truth in love and not in self-righteous indignation. Let’s talk.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am very glad you posted this. However, you cannot love Jesus and vote for Obama. There really isn't anything to talk about :)

Anonymous said...

I agree that neither candidate is a good choice. I have chosen to vote for the party that more clearly stands for what I believe. I personally rather like Sarah Palin. She actually reminds me of myself. Scary, huh? I believe her most redeeming quality is the fact that she appears to be telling the truth about the way she feels and not shaping every thought she utters to fit with whatever the majority wants to hear. The other candidates don't seem to know what they think because they are so busy recruiting voters.