Wednesday, October 8, 2008

My Mom (get a snack this blogs a long one)

My Mom’s birthday was Sunday and as cheesy as it may be, I want to dedicate this blog to her. Any true illustration of my life would be incomplete without some recognition of the wonderful women who sacrificed so much to raise me.

I was definitely not a part of my parents plan. I was born 9 months and 11 days after their wedding day. My Dad was 18 and my Mom was 20. They were both in Bible school. Due to my little interruption, their educational plans were substantially altered. My Dad worked long hours as a cable splicer for Bell Canada and my Mom stayed at home taking care of me and continued her classes at night. Mom was always very protective of me and I never had one baby sitter. She did not however protect me when my father would tease me and tell me that I was a monkey they picked up from the zoo until I would cry (but I’ll forgive that because in their defense I was a bit of a crybaby). I was never allowed to eat sugar cereal and having junk food in the house was not common. I was the poor kid at lunch that never had anything good to trade. Most kids weren’t eager to give up their Swiss cake rolls for some carrot sticks or fruit juice sweetened cookies. When I went to my Grandma’s she would feel sorry for my deprived childhood and make me peanut butter sandwiches on white bread and I thought I was in heaven.

Probably the thing I admire most about my Mom is how selflessly she has always served others. I really and truly believe that she is a modern day saint. I was an only child until I was about 8 but I don’t ever remember it that way. My Mom and Dad were foster parents before Tyler came along and there were several kids who were regulars in our house. Those who came to us had horrible home lives and various special needs but my Mother always treated them just like her own. One little boy Shane put my cat Goober (yes, I named him) in the microwave for about 5 seconds. Goober was never the same after that. No matter how much of a disturbance they had on our home Mom had an abundance of patience and love for these hurting kids. My brother Kevin came to us as a foster child and quickly became a part of our family. My Mother was never afraid to open her home or her heart to those in need.

Mom eventually received her Master’s degree in Special Education and started teaching in the public school. During this time she met many hurting children who she truly committed her life to. One little boy in particular touched all of our lives in a profound way and ended up living in our home for several years. He was an affectionate little guy who required some patience but brought so much joy to our family. I remember the day he had to leave our home and how broken Mom was. I still can’t remember that day without crying.

Even in the midst of heart wrenching experiences, Mom didn’t stop giving. Today she is a teacher and an administrator at a school she started herself. It is a Christian school for children with special needs that currently has about 70 students. She and my father work tirelessly often 12 or more hours a day to ensure that every child has a chance to learn. Every time I go home I am so proud to hear stories from parents and other teachers about the dramatic impact my mother has on these children’s lives. I realize that this blog is already getting long so I won’t go into detail but there are tons of stories that stick out in my mind of parents who were told there was no hope and that their children would never learn and then experiencing seemingly impossible breakthroughs in my mother’s class.
Not only has she given tirelessly to other people’s children but she was a wonderful mother to me and my brother’s as well. I was a pretty decent child but a nightmare of a teenager. I was often emotional and irrational and just plain crazy (not too much has changedJ); however, as exasperated and often angry as Mom would get she never gave up. I remember when I started traveling to other countries for even months at a time and people would ask my Mom why she let me do these things and she responded, “I know this is God’s will for Jennifer’s life and no matter where it may take her, God’s will is the safest place for her to be.” It is that kind of faith that has shaped the person I am today. I could not have asked for a better mother or a better example of what a women of God truly is. While my words seem inadequate, I hope this somehow honors the women I am so lucky to have as my Mother. I would be nowhere if not for her example and her prayers. I love you Mom!

**And like myself, my Mother absolutely hates having her picture taken so hopefully the words above will make up for how angry she is that I posted some of my favorite funny pictures of her here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

As the subject of this blog, I am moved and also very proud of my daughter. Our God is an awesome God!