Thursday, February 12, 2009

Junior Achievement

Recently, I signed up to volunteer with the Bradley County Junior Achievement. I had always wanted to get involved with this program because it combined my love of business and teaching young people and I finally signed up as one of my New Years resolutions to do more in my community. Its really an ideal way to volunteer for the non-committal person (I just couldn't do Big Brother/Big Sister but that is a whole different story). You only have to commit to one 6 week class. They give you a handbook and activities and it is very well planned out.

You can pick any age group you want, but their greatest need was with Middle Schoolers. I am sure that no one is surprised by this. Middle School is the worst time in everyone's life. Whether you enjoyed it or not, chances are you drove everyone around you insane with your awkward obnoxiousness. Just trust me here...anyway, I got up really early this morning and went over the manual 5 or 6 times trying to appear prepared for my new class of 8th graders. However, when I arrived at the class I was pleasantly surprised. I absolutely loved the class...several of the students were quite sarcastic which I personally think makes the class more fun. They were really interactive and funny and seemed to enjoy even the activities I thought were cheezy and a little childish. I think I'm going to love Junior Achievement, everyone should volunteer!

0 comments: