Monday, February 8, 2010

The boy who Harnessed the Wind



I love this book. It’s the story of William, a boy from Malawi Africa, who had a dream that was bigger than his circumstances. Armed with a borrowed book and without any formal education, William built a windmill out of trash that provided electricity for his small village. What struck me most about his story is his determination and hope in the face of seemingly insurmountable obstacles. William could have easily played the victim and simply took what life had handed him. However, he used what was available to him to make an amazing impact on not only his own life but on his entire village. I definitely teared up a couple of times. It also does a great job of explaining African culture inclduing their belief in magic and the fear they live in as a result. Its an incredible story.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I can still follow you in my google reader so I am for the move. Tumblr has a much nicer presentation than blogger. I am just to lazy to change.