Thursday, December 11, 2008

Mr.West

I’m moderately self aware and I realize that a stranger who saw me walking down the street would probably not peg me for a hip-hop connoisseur. However, anyone who knows me well knows that I love Kanye West. I remember watching the video for Through the Wire in my college apartment on Centenary and marveling at this producer turned rapper who wore argyle sweater vests and rapped his first single with his jaw wired shut. He had me from “I drink a boost for breakfast, an Ensure for dizert, someone order pancakes I just sip the sizirp, that right there could drive a sane man bizirq.” My affection grew with All Falls Down, a song with another personal favorite Lauren Hill, where he laments materialism and “the things we buy to cover up what’s inside.” I remember quickly adding Jesus Walks to my work out list, singing along to Gold Digger at Fox and the Hound and playing Stronger until it became my highest ranked song on i-tunes. I can’t think of a better summer jam than Good Life or a song that makes me happier than Touch the Sky. I know by writing this, I am opening myself up to ridicule from many of my “music-snob” friends, but whether you are a fan or not, Kanye’s contribution to music and subsequently popular culture is hard to ignore.

Contrary to the testimonies of most rappers, Kanye didn’t grow up hustling on the streets. His mother was a college professor and he grew up in a middle class home. His out of the ordinary background inspires out of the ordinary lyrics that are both thoughtful and clever. In addition to his refreshingly different point of view, Kanye’s tracks boast skillful production and creative sampling. He makes songs one can’t help but love. He never sounds caned (though he does use quite a bit of auto-tune) and every song is uniquely creative. His new album is quite a change from previous releases but it has the same innovative beats, introspective lyrics and emotional delivery.

Before the abuse begins, let me point out that years of openly appreciating Kanye have resulted in almost every argument of why I should not and I think I’ve got an answer for all of them. The most popular response to my admiration is a reminder of one of his plethora of famous one liners including “George Bush doesn’t care about Black people” and “I want to be Elvis.” Is he a PR nightmare or a PR genius? Love him or hate him you know who he is. Not to mention the fact that I find his unpredictable appearances and tantrums at award show entertaining. Isn’t all press good press?

My least favorite argument is “How can you like him? He is so arrogant.” Of course he is arrogant. The guy blows off 60 radio stations in one morning and refuses to play in his assigned slot at Bonnoroo and still releases every album at number one. I’d be a bit arrogant too. I was pretty proud of myself this last week when I successfully set up a conference call with not three but FOUR people (please hold your applause until the end). I have no intentions of turning this into a political debate but this argument makes about as much sense as the “Obama is an elitist” argument. If he didn’t think he was better than everyone he wouldn’t be running for President and frankly if he wasn’t better than most people I wouldn’t want him running. To play on the level of a Kanye West or a Jay Z or a Cold Play (for those of you who won’t get this blog if I don’t mention a rock band) you literally have to be the best in the WHOLE WORLD. I think at least a small dose of arrogance comes with that title. Kanye is simply one of the few artists who refuse to jump through hoops to appear selfless and humble. Most humble guys don’t wear leather pants (That’s right, I’m talking to you Bono). I’m not saying his behavior isn’t annoying or that I could stand to hang out with him on a regular basis but I will continue to rock Kayne at every possible occasion. My love will go on, Heartless is quickly on its way to my new #1.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

When it comes to answering arguments as to why you should not like Mr. West, perhaps I have one you have not considered, YOU ARE STUPID IF YOU DO! Not feeling so smug now, are you? I know rap, I know rap, I wear my Run DMC black high tops on all special occasions.

Jenn said...

Wow...speaking of someone who needs a hug. I wasn't trying to present myself as a rap expert but I do know what I like. Sounds like you may have some deep seeded anger towards Kanye, maybe there was a bad experience in your past involving someone wearing oversized sunglasses?

Anonymous said...

That's the problem with you Liberals you think you can fix everything with a hug, including trees. I do not need a hug but I really could use a cheeseburger. Keep it real and peace out.

Jenn said...

"sounds like someone who needs a hug" was a direct quote from your comment on my previous blog "an impassioned plea." That's the problem with you conservatives, you can't keep track of what you say from one minute to the next.

Anonymous said...

You got me there, I have to admit that's the only problem I found with making stuff up, you have to keep your story straight. But you know what they say, being out on the streets ain't easy.

Unknown said...

I love that you love Kayne so much that you wrote this BIG BLOG about him. Personally, if he was such a jerk I don't think I would find him as interesting. I am not even a fan but I have read two articles about his new CD. He is a PR train wreck that I cannot look away from.

Last Man Standing said...

Visiting commenter here, just dropping my two cents: Interesting article! I myself find K. West to be stuck on himself, and as childish as they come...and yet, isn't that kind of how all recording artists become? I think to be a recording artist you sort of have to be in love with the sound of your own voice if you want to have a successful career. Like Jaime said, he's a train wreck you can't look away from, but "Jesus Walks" and the workout song (whose title escapes me now) are still in my playlist rotation, so there's definitely talent there.