Friday, November 21, 2008

Whimsical Wisdom and a Stock Tip. What a deal!

I've haven't written in a while. This is an obvious statement if you are one of my six faithful followers who lay awake at night hoping that tomorrow may bring another morsel of whimsical wisdom from the all too often ignored Sound and the Fury (please insert a heaping dose of sarcasm here).

My "free time" (please understand that this term is being used quite liberally) this week has been consumed writing a final paper for my investments class on Coach. As per usual, I left the paper to the last possible minute and ended up hating myself and any sort of writing by yesterday when it was due. It was not my best work due to the fact that apparently I've developed a case of senioritis, even though I have at least a year if not two before I finish my MBA.

I originally picked Coach because I've never been a fan of their purses and I think they have over saturated the market. As a retailer of trendy fashion accessories, the kiss of death has to be the fact that thousands of 13 year old girls are proudly sporting their outlet purchased bags to middle schools and youth groups all over the country. However, after some analysis I discovered that not only are their financial reports and business plan excellent but their unique market position as an "accessible luxury" has caused them to become more successful than any of their counterparts in the $100 plus handbag arena.

I don't know why I chose to share this but I found it fascinating. They perfectly priced their product within reach of most Middle class consumers but not low as to not be valued or coveted. Maybe I'm becoming a business geek after all but whoever thought of this was genius. So for those of you looking to buy some stock with long term growth potential, look at Coach. As I type it is only $13.80 per share and some analysts predict it could increase to $80.00 by 2011. I have some J.Alexanders stock I could trade in...

I always begin blogs thinking I have nothing to say and then end them after 3 paragraphs realizing I didn't say what I wanted to, but surely after 3 paragraphs no one is still reading anyway. :)

(I have recently found myself addicted to smiley faces...seriously is there a support group? Maybe it could also include people who excessively type LOL. I am more than somewhat skeptical that everyone is laughing out loud as much as they claim. )

2 comments:

Ben and Cassie said...

You now have a seventh faithful follower who will, indeed, lay awake at night in anticipation of your literay musings.

Anonymous said...

Thanks,I found that report and stock tip very interesting! I have been carrying coach for 10+ years but am now so frustrated by all of "fake" ones out there. The middle schoolers you speak of are not carrying outlet purses, they, along with most Cleveland COG are carrying fake ones. There's no comparison though in the quality of the coach to the fakes. They look like brand new after years and years of carrying them.