Monday, March 8, 2010

Home

I remember when I interviewed for my job at PCL. Dr.Garmon showed me a video about Cambodia. At the time I had no idea where Cambodia was and (ashamedly) I knew nothing of their violent history or of the Khmer empire and the Angkor Watt temples. I had never really been interested in Asia but never one to say no to an opportunity to travel, after accepting the job, I anxiously awaited my first trip.

Almost 4 years later, I cannot believe how this tiny country literally on the other side of the world has become a second home to me. Now I live in this weird dichotomy, always missing wherever I'm not, always leaving a piece of me somewhere. This short trip has been especially challenging, saying hello and goodbye almost in the same breath.

I love being greeted by Rosita and Mony who work in our coffee shop with a "where you go" every time I walk in the door. I enjoy haggling with tuk tuk drivers over a $1 difference in fair, surprising women in the market with one of my 4 well-practiced Khmer phrases, promising Sine at the orphanage I'll learn more Khmer soon. I even find comfort in not always understanding what's going on around me, I've learned to enjoy the moments where I don't need to make conversation because no one would understand me anyway. I feel at home on the road where everything is new, unexpected and never as simple as it should be.

I know I'm where I'm supposed to be but sometimes I wish it were here.

1 comments:

Justin said...

Great stuff- I definitely know how you feel, and I'm so jealous of your travels. Hopefully I can come see the magic of Cambodia sometime soon!