Friday, March 6, 2009

Milk Soaked Loins and the Death of a Dream

I've had some weird things happen in my life and I've always wanted to record them somehow. This is my first attempt at a biographical short story...Its kind of long for a blog so I thought I would break it up. I chose this particular occurance because the ending is something I feel relates to what I've gone through this week. The story isn't entirley complete but I thought posting it in parts would motivate me to actually get it done. Remember its one of my first serious attempts at a narrative (outside of school assignments) so be nice :)

Milk Soaked Loins and the Death of a Dream: A True Story

Several years ago, on a Wednesday night In December, myself and 3 friends: Ben, Brad and Casey bought tickets for the Jingle Bell Jam in Atlanta, Georgia. There were four bands playing, Keane, Muse, Jimmy Eat World and Velvet Revolver. I wasn’t a huge fan of the headliners but Slash is kind of a legend and I figured I needed to see him play. It was a memorable night for several reasons. It was the first time I saw the band Muse play. They were incredible and continue to be the best live show I have ever seen. I remember my friend Casey and I standing speechless as they walked off the stage, we hadn’t expected to be so blown away by the second band of a 4 band set. Brad was the most excited about seeing Velvet Revolver. He was a huge fan of classic rock and considered the Combination of Guns and Roses and Stone Temple Pilots a marriage arranged by God himself. Anticipating that he would want to rock heavily during the final show, Brad asked for my keys to go to the car and put his jacket up. For some reason, I hesitated, but what could possibly go wrong? “Don’t lose them” I joked as I handed them over. “How could I possibly lose them between here and the car?” he responded with what soon became known as the famous last words.

0 comments: